Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 5, Lake Solono County Park to the Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn in Santa Rosa, 63 miles

Up early to eat breakfast and break camp.  Up early wasn’t too challenging - some guy down the road fired up an extremely noisy piece of equipment about 5:00 am.  It was cool with a mild west wind (head wind of course) as Len and I began the climb to Lake Berryessa, a climb we both remembered with dread from two years ago. (Stiff headwind with a climb.)  As it turned out, it wasn’t bad at all.  However, a few minutes later the real climb began.  About half way up we encountered an old guy (no cracks from the peanut gallery please) picking up trash from the side of the road.  I said “hi” and “thanks for cleaning up” which sort of surprised him (I don’t think he heard me coming).  Len came by a few seconds later, by which time he’d recovered and was in Gabby Hayes chat mode.  Among other things he told Len that everything else is flat and thanked us for climbing what he called “cardiac hill.”  This comment triggered a memory for both Len and me: we’d encountered the same guy two years ago when he was standing around in his yard about a half mile up the hill.  He mentioned something about “cardiac hill” that time too so I guess he mentions it to every cyclist who rides by.

A few miles further on we see the Turtle Rock Cafe.  Len says we have to stop to see the collection of dollar bills pasted to the walls and ceiling.  The money must be worth more than the building.  Further on, a few small vineyards and these increase in number as we approach the Napa valley.  Len and I are startled by a Pileated Woodpecker as it flys across the road (rare, large, the size of a small duck, woodpecker with a bright read head). Once on the Silverado Trail Toby and I are riding on the valley floor and encounter only a few rollers.  The scenery is spectacular!  Eventually we encounter Len who is waiting under a tree beside a quiet road next to the Sterling Vineyard.  We eat lunch and Len and Toby mount up for the last leg of today’s ride.  I drive into Calistoga and turn on to Petrified Forest Road.  There begins a long, sometimes fairly steep climb.  In the beginning there is little shoulder and a lot of traffic (Len and Toby aren’t going to like this).  Just before turning off Petrified Forest Road, I see “The Petrified Forest,” with an admonition to be sure to visit the gift shop.  Despite the funky look, I pass up on the opportunity to check it out.

I am now in the southern Sonoma wine district as I approach the north side of Santa Rosa and our final destination, the Best Western Plus, Wine Country Inn and Suites.  I’m a little early so I sit by the pool.  It’s a comfortable 71 degrees, stark and welcome contrast to yesterday’s high 90’s.  When the riders arrive we all sit by the pool and while I’m deleting junk mail from my phone Len and Toby check out the weekend edition of USA Today.  Len shows me an add in the paper encouraging me to call some 800 number where I can claim a “Bag of Cash” for $99.  It’s a slick full page affair but reminds me of the Nigerian Prince scams you used to see in your email inbox.  Len and Toby tell of the harrowing ride on Porter Creek Road and we conclude that this DEFINITELY IS NOT THE WAY to get from Calistoga to Santa Rosa. If it weren’t for this 20 mile section, the entire ride from Reno to the coast would have been as perfect as you can get. We vow to contact the Santa Rosa Cycling Club for suggestions about other ways to ride from Napa to Sonoma.


With the help of Yelp we found a great little Mexican restaurant in a strip mall a couple of miles from the hotel.  (Los Arcos) There were two tables outside and about 8 inside.  We had a ceviche appetizer, margaritas and for the main courses carnitas and a combination plate with enchilada, taco and tamale. All really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment